Statement

Got tired of the dysfunctional Flixter Facebook app. Grading movies A-F. Only movies that I find interesting, but not necessarily high quality. Some blockbusters, some interesting rarities and oddities, and occasionally some turkeys.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Alexander Dumas as a steampunk movie?!

I actually expected this movie to be really bad based on the previews. After the first five minutes, which were kinda entertaining, I thought, "maybe this won't be so bad"; I like Dumas and I like steampunk, and the costumes are extravagant and the production designs sophisticated. But it simply doesn't work. The mixed accents spoken through the film are irritating. The "fun" parts are mostly references to other movies (A Handful of Dollars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Eddie Izzard shows, etc). And the dialogs and script are so lame even Christoph Waltz couldn't save them.


Don't get me wrong, I expected a simple story with frivolous, light-hearted swashbucklers with nimble swordplay and charismatic characters, but the result is uneven and uninspired. Another example of Hollywood running out of ideas. Solution: take a script based on one of the most beloved adventure stories of all time and hack it to a video game movie.


Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment